May 20, 2024, 09:19:06 am

Author Topic: Region Ideas  (Read 24779 times)

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Region Ideas
« on: May 20, 2015, 09:30:20 am »
Hello guys,
you already know that there will be snow areas in the game, more tempered areas as well and we brainstormed some desert landscape.

What areas would you like to see in the game? I do not promise that those will end up being in the game, but it's always cool to hear from others to get ideas :)

I would personally like to have one in/close to a volcan, where you would find a special forge where you can craft unique weapons because of the heat capacity that you can only achieve because of the magma.

Alienlover97

• View Profile
Re: Region Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 09:44:51 am »
How about a town near a volcano and a legendary blacksmith in a cave near or even inside a volcano and you have to do a quest for him to teach you how to use his forge with real magma flowing into it? LOL call it magma town!

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 10:26:05 am »
How about a town near a volcano and a legendary blacksmith in a cave near or even inside a volcano and you have to do a quest for him to teach you how to use his forge with real magma flowing into it? LOL call it magma town!

Hahaha, yeah, that something we could do, but maybe a bit too cliché to my taste :P But that's how you get more ideas! Keep them coming!

Alienlover97

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:16:25 pm »
Ok then how about a town at the base of a volcano that is famous for its magma weapons. It could be that a beast that dwells deep inside the volcano has stolen a key part of an ancient lava forge that made the town prosperous. Now that the forge isn't working, all trade has stopped and the town is in shambles. You arrive to the town and the mayor gives you a quest to slay this beast and get back the forge part. Once that's completed, trade resumes and the town returns to being a sort of trade hub for that region. The only problem is that it makes the player character seem hero - like and Outward isn't like that so maybe instead of doing it alone you have to rally the townsfolk to form a hunting party that the mayor puts you in charge of. Idk just another idea I'd love to hear others! Good luck on Outward I'm a huge fan!

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 04:05:10 pm »
I like it quite a lot. Making so you look a bit less like a hero would indeed be needed, but the general idea is interesting. Maybe the forge could be inside the volcano, not inside the village, the village would talk about a legendary smith (like you see sometimes about witch and alchemy) somewhere in the volcano.

Alienlover97

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 06:59:09 pm »
Hmm, so how about a blacksmiths guild in the village, and everyday they travel to the top of the volcano to reach a cave leading to an ancient magma forge inside the volcano. You could make it a small quest line where a giant beast (dragon, magma golem, lava bear, ect.) Awoke from an ancient slumber and rampaged inside the volcano, sealing off the entrance and making the volcano active. You arrive at the guild to learn blacksmithing but the guild master informs you of what happened, and asks if you would like to help. He tells you to get explosives (dynamite, a magic spell, a runes stone of blowing up stuff, whatever the lore would call it) and you go to other villages to get enough to blow up the seal. Once you get enough you give them to the guild master and you, him and the rest of the guild go to the cave, blow it up, and fight in a giant raid battle against the beast. The guild master organizes everything so he gets the glory, seeing as your just the person who got the explosives, and makes you a member, teaches you how to forge the equipment, and then you go about the rest of your journey elsewhere. Instead of making you the new guild master like other games, he is the hero but you still influenced the village and got to blow stuff up and fight the beast with ALOT of help. Idk tell me what you think also thanks for responding back you made my day!

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 07:29:09 pm »
This is definitely the kind of things we would like to do. Probably that if you go away and decide to do other quests, the volcano incident might happen anyway (like we said, things continue even if you aren't there), maybe the guild will get rid of that creature anyway, maybe not, and the volcano erupt and destroy the village :O

I like to talk and share ideas with our community, it's something we have done with our past games too.

Alienlover97

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 07:55:56 pm »
Wow thanks so much for really considering my idea! I love the idea of you not being a hero but still being able to make a difference in others lives. Keep up the great work and please post any new ideas you have. Maybe about new quests or locations like this post or anything else. I know people really like seeing this stuff it made my day and I'm sure it made others to know that you haven't given up. Good luck!

Zonto3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 12:41:34 am »
That whole volcano thing sounds like a great idea! The suggestion I would make is have a nice area to camp in a river bed that has a chance of a flash flooding.

derpylz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 07:04:02 am »
I would really appreciate a highly vegetated area, like a jungle or something.

It could be hard to travel through, maybe one would have to leave back ones mule because all the vines and roots would obstruct the way. There would be some dangerous monsters living there, but the real danger would come from all the plants. Depending on the season and daytime, like on a really hot summer noon, all plants will free their spores, which, when breathed in, will implant themselves in your lungs. You will quickly die from the effect and new plants will parasite your body, as a human body is a very fertile soil for these plants. You would find many remains of adventurers, that wanted to scavenge the treasures of the jungle but couldn't make it out in time.
As for the fauna in this area, there could be big insects, that have evolved special filtering membranes in their spiracles (the breathing organ of insects) (these could be looted to craft a special breathing mask) to survive the spores. Another evolutionary strategy the animals of the jungle could have evolved to counter the effects of the deadly plants is to fly over the jungle, where the spores don't reach them. You would find birds but on their own, they would not be able to stay in the air for such a long time until the spores have settled. They would need the help of giant flying jellyfish (no, I won't give up with this idea :P). These jellyfish normally would roam the jungle, their poisonous tentacles, which have cnidocytes (stinging cells of jelly fish) that can even pierce thick leather armor (in our world jelly fish have cnidocytes that can even pierce through the shell of crabs), blend in with the vines of the jungle plants. A careless adventurer would easily bump into one of those, and although not lethal, the poison will paralyze you, which is of course very dangerous in a jungle, where timing is crucial. However, the birds I mentioned earlier have evolved an immunity against the neurotoxin of the jelly fish (just like the clownfish and the anemone (Nemo!)). They can just grab onto the tentacles and fly with the jellyfish far above the hazard zone, when the spores are flying. The birds in turn help the jelly fish by fertilizing them, as the sperms of the jelly fish stick to their feathers and get carried to the next jellyfish.
But in the center of the jungle one could find epic loot, like rare plants for alchemy or artifacts in ancient ruins, maybe a temple like the incas, mayas or aztecs built in our world. So it is up to the adventurer to decide if the journey through the jungle is worth the risk of loosing your body to the parasitic jungle.

:)

derpylz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 08:33:07 am »

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 08:39:03 am »
That whole volcano thing sounds like a great idea! The suggestion I would make is have a nice area to camp in a river bed that has a chance of a flash flooding.

I like it! We want that where you place your camp matters, you could get attacked by bandits if it's too obvious (like in the middle of the road). Being victim of natural hazard like this would add a lot too.

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 08:41:07 am »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1115504421800122&set=pb.100000217248243.-2207520000.1432297864.&type=3&theater
An image that I just drew of how I imagine the jungle :)

Haha, I can see that you are indeed a biologist. I really like this idea, flying jelly fish is cool. Let see if I can convince Étienne to make it real :D

Gheeyom

• CEO/Founder/Game Designer
  • Global Moderator
  • CEO/Founder of Nine Dots Studio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 09:59:36 am »
The town of Monsoon is a march area where one of the main issue is toxicity of plants around, rather than only predators, so it fits a bit with Derpylz premise for a jungle. It's also an area where you can find a lot of phosphorescent rocks, making it more illuminated during the night than during the day (since the sky is covered by trees). Flying enemies were more a matter of code than art, from what Pierre-Tuan told me.

Sirocco is a city near three volcanoes (named the Three Brothers), and their crafts are mostly centered around using ash and petrified wood to create unique looking garments and armors. The volcano ashes are actually a necessary component to the growth of a nutritious fruit that is the main source of nourishment in the region.

I admit that I prefer the idea of finding a remote forge in one of the volcanoes in the north, than one that is the center of attraction for a town. It makes the whole journey to that forge more purposeful!
We seriously need more alexandrite in our games.

veritanuda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 12:05:20 pm »
I've always like this idea of exploring Bronze Age Europe, specifically England. So a mix of salt marshes and arable lands with deep forests and valleys. If you look at any litrature on the subject you can see how wild and raw it all looked.