May 18, 2024, 11:43:05 am

Author Topic: Upgrading GoD Factory to Unity 5  (Read 10508 times)

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Upgrading GoD Factory to Unity 5
« on: May 13, 2015, 05:27:38 pm »
In the past few days, the programmers (Arkensis and myself) have been working to upgrade GoD Factory to Unity 5. This would allow us to port the game more easily on MAC/Linux and Consoles. We will also change the UI system to the one introduced with Unity 4.6 and dump our audio manager to use the one added in Unity 5.

GoD Factory has been developed using Unity 4.2, so it was actually pretty old when it was released (Unity 4.5 was the latest available version back then). Some of the plugins we were using didn't really appreciate the upgrade. Though the Input System was easily upgraded to a newer, the network plugin required a bit more work, since we edited the code to suit our needs. Some intern functions and properties that we were using had been removed, we had to make it work again. In the end, it only took 1 day and a half of work day (basically 12h) to make the network to work again.

The UI stayed pretty much the same in the exception of the HUD. Here is what it looked like after we upgrated

I have been working to redo the HUD with the new Unity GUI (commonly named uGUI). It should be a bit lighter on the hardware, so we got that which is nice.

Note that while the programmers are working on that, the artists are still making assets for Outward and Gheeyom is doing some game design mechanics that we will be able to implement once we are done with the port.

derpylz

• View Profile
Re: Upgrading GoD Factory to Unity 5
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 05:37:34 pm »
Oh god! what happened there?!  :o
Why did everything explode into what looks like the Genesis combo?
Also the color scheme of the map looks like before the 1.1 update.
I'm very happy, that you put this much effort into GoD Factory, it's still my favourite game of all times :D

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading GoD Factory to Unity 5
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 09:00:33 am »
The Genesis combo is the default icon displayed in the hud. On initialization, it is replaced by an empty icon, but since the display exploded, it stayed at the default value.
The colors seem different because most of the post processing (fog, color correct, sun shaft, etc.) stopped working too.