May 18, 2024, 10:57:43 am

Author Topic: Concept Art to Model  (Read 14087 times)

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Concept Art to Model
« on: June 12, 2015, 09:27:10 am »
A little while ago, during one of our stream, we showed a few concept arts of monsters that will roam Aurai. One of them was a dinosaur like monsters, with long claws and sharp teeth.

Based on the concept art made by Etienne (our lead artist), Pascal (our 3D modeler) used ZBrush and modeled the monster then used DDO and Photoshop to tweak the texture. Etienne then imported the model in Unity and the result is fantastic.

At the moment I'm writing this blog post, Gabriel (our animator) is currently rigging our dino friend before starting to put life into it. Stay tuned for a future update with our scaly monster making its way to devour the adventurer!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 09:38:05 am by Keos »

Zonto3

• View Profile
Re: Concept Art to Model
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 09:35:41 am »
That looks cool and scary at the same time. One idea I would like to suggest is do different models so it makes them unique. Like a short claw on one beast while another has a huge scar on his side. Maybe have an extra horn. I think it would make it more entertaining so it is not like killing the exact same thing over and over.

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 10:19:38 am »
That looks cool and scary at the same time. One idea I would like to suggest is do different models so it makes them unique. Like a short claw on one beast while another has a huge scar on his side. Maybe have an extra horn. I think it would make it more entertaining so it is not like killing the exact same thing over and over.

This is excellent ideas. It's something we'd like to do off course. Our priority though is to have a variety of different monsters first :P

keltten

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 04:59:59 pm »
Will all the monsters have the same skin colors? Could be possible to change some of the coloring slightly to make each monster slightly unique.

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 05:24:53 pm »
Will all the monsters have the same skin colors? Could be possible to change some of the coloring slightly to make each monster slightly unique.

We do plan to add color variation, for monster without equipment, maybe even broken horns/tusks depending of their characteristics. We made some expirements with bandits too. They have slightly different equipments, some with/without helmets, gauntlets, coats, armor. That's something we will try to do for as many monsters as we can.

This will add variety without having to make thousands of different creatures. We do plan having more than 4 nonetheless :P We just want to find a good in-between.

Sern

• The Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 07:09:43 pm »
In newer game worlds I'm not familiar with I tend to be overly cautious until I become more familiar. So if I saw this early on I'd undoubtedly steer clear.

I'd also love to see as much variation as is possible given time and budget. With that said, I believe some monsters require variation less than others. Consider TES: Skyrim. A multi-million dollar game production that arguably had limited 3d model/texture variations and was overall solid IMO. Of course, different people weigh the importance of various game features differently and depending on the focus of those features can overlook a lapse in certain areas. Variation assists in immersion but should be carefully balanced with other immersive features so as not to ignore them.

In my estimation I could endure limited model/texture variation in certain cases provided other areas of game design are solid. To me, what is more important - especially with humanoid/intelligent entities - is that the gear they wear (whatever that may be) is dynamically generated upon each encounter. The model/texture of the entity may not vary but if there's enough gear variation this can easily compensate for that IMO.

Keos

• Programmer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 09:00:45 am »
In newer game worlds I'm not familiar with I tend to be overly cautious until I become more familiar. So if I saw this early on I'd undoubtedly steer clear.

I'd also love to see as much variation as is possible given time and budget. With that said, I believe some monsters require variation less than others. Consider TES: Skyrim. A multi-million dollar game production that arguably had limited 3d model/texture variations and was overall solid IMO. Of course, different people weigh the importance of various game features differently and depending on the focus of those features can overlook a lapse in certain areas. Variation assists in immersion but should be carefully balanced with other immersive features so as not to ignore them.

In my estimation I could endure limited model/texture variation in certain cases provided other areas of game design are solid. To me, what is more important - especially with humanoid/intelligent entities - is that the gear they wear (whatever that may be) is dynamically generated upon each encounter. The model/texture of the entity may not vary but if there's enough gear variation this can easily compensate for that IMO.

Humanoid and more specificaly humans are indeed easier to have variation as gear can look differently. Gear found on enemy humans will also be possible to be worn by the players, meaning that's a two birds with one stones, more enemy diversity and more items for the player!